Discussion / MMO Engines and Graphics Assets

Johny Quid 23.3.2023 15:44

I dont understand why some smart software development company doesnt develop a robust and flexible game engine, as well as modifiable graphics assets, specifically designed for MMOs, which it could then turn around and licence to prospective game developers. I know Unreal does this, at least in part, with their engine, but I dont think it was specifically designed with MMOs in mind, and it therefore has some important limitations.

This would not only generate a nice income for the software developer, but it would also allow the MMO developers to devote their time and energy into developing rich 'gameplay content' rather than using up all their resources on creating a new engine, revamping an old one, or focussing so much on new 'state of the art' graphics. The graphics of such games as AoC, Lotro, and Vanguard are quite sufficient to create a believable world. If the engine and graphics assets were modifyable and licensable, and could be easily adapted to fit a particular type of game and game world, the costs of producing an MMO would be drastically reduced, thus allowing for more creativity in the development of niche games by smaller gaming houses. If and when this happens, we will see a renaissance of the genre, with many more choices available to players. I just dont get it why someone doesnt do this.

Edward Heavy 23.3.2023 17:22

Yes, it is a huge problem now to find experienced and professional programmers. For me, for example, it was a whole problem to find such. Somehow I came across a great company that helped me develop a great website. Also on the site you can read about flutter vs react native and what is better to choose. The company really deserves attention.

Insert Comment

HTML is ProhibitedPermitted formatting: [b] a [/b] - bolt text [i] a [/i] - italics [u] a [/u] - underline

Marked data in bolt are mandatory

Back to summary of Topics

Up