KYU number question.

KYU number question.

tot3ntanzz 27.9.2023 23:42

Hey fellow truckers!

I hope you're all doing well out there on the open road. I've got a question that's been bugging me for a while now, and I thought this forum would be the perfect place to seek some wisdom.

So, I keep hearing about this thing called a KYU number in the trucking business, and I have to admit, I'm a bit puzzled. I've been driving for years, but I've never had to deal with one of these before. Can anyone shed some light on what exactly a KYU number is and why it's important in our line of work?

Let me share a little personal story to put this in context. I've been hauling loads all across the country for a while, and I've mainly stuck to the same routes. However, recently I've been considering expanding my horizons and taking on some new routes. That's when I started hearing about KYU numbers. I want to make sure I'm fully compliant with all the regulations and requirements, especially if I'm going to be crossing state lines more often.

So, if any of you seasoned truckers can give me the lowdown on KYU numbers, I'd really appreciate it. Do I need one? How do I get it? And are there any specific situations where it's required? Your insights and advice would be invaluable to me as I navigate this new territory.

Thanks in advance, and keep on truckin'!

KYU number question.

John Staples 27.9.2023 23:43

In the trucking business, the term "KYU number" typically refers to the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax License Number. It is a special tax license issued by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for commercial motor vehicles that operate on Kentucky roads. The KYU number is used to track and collect the weight-distance tax, which is assessed based on the distance traveled by a commercial vehicle on Kentucky highways and the vehicle's weight.

Trucking companies and operators are required to obtain a KYU number if they plan to transport goods in Kentucky or use Kentucky highways as part of their routes. The collected taxes help fund the maintenance and construction of the state's road infrastructure.

It's important for trucking businesses to comply with state-specific regulations and tax requirements like the KYU number to operate legally and avoid penalties. Keep in mind that regulations and tax requirements may vary from state to state, so it's essential to research and understand the specific requirements in the states where you plan to operate.

KYU number question.

Kipper 27.9.2023 23:43

Last year, my brother started a small business selling hot drinks and called me, puzzled by the need to register with UCR. He didn't realize there was a whole separate UCR system for USDOT authority. I told him that many new carriers make this mistake, but the key is to be compliant from the start. I directed him to https://fmcafilings.com/filing/KYU which specializes in UCR and other types of registration with the DOT. Their site clearly explains the process and requirements. They helped him file his MCS-150, UCR, BOC-3 and more. According to him, the experts in completing the paperwork made everything smooth and painless.

KYU number question.

tot3ntanzz 27.9.2023 23:45

Friends, thank you so much for so many detailed responses! You have really helped me a lot to understand this topic. Good luck to you and all the best :)

Insert Comment

HTML is ProhibitedPermitted formatting: [b] a [/b] - bolt text [i] a [/i] - italics [u] a [/u] - underline

Marked data in bolt are mandatory

Back to summary of Topics

Up