Training For My New Rescue Dog

koerio 25.2.2024 18:24

Earlier this week I adopted an 18-month old Terrier mix named Lucy from the local shelter. She's very sweet but came from an abusive situation so she's timid around new people and dogs. I want to help Lucy gain confidence and better socialization skills. Does anyone have experience with trainers in Richmond who specialize in working with rescue dogs? I'd love to find someone who uses rewards-based methods. TIA for any trainer recommendations!

Aiohha 26.2.2024 19:32

Hi there! First of all, thank you for adopting sweet Lucy. I know how rewarding (and challenging) it can be to work with a rescue dog. My last dog Max was also timid when I first brought him home from the shelter. With time, patience, and the right training he became much more confident.
I highly recommend checking out Smarty Paws Dog Training in Richmond for help with Lucy's specific needs. They were amazing with Max and specialize in positive reinforcement training for all dogs, but have a lot of experience with rescues and fearful pups.
The trainers take the time to understand each dog's background and use rewards-based methods to build up their confidence at their own pace. After a few months with Smarty Paws, Max went from cowering behind me on walks to happily engaging with new people and dogs. I'm sure they could do the same for Lucy! Here's their website: Smartypawsdogtraining.com Wishing you both all the best on your training journey.

Insert Comment

HTML is ProhibitedPermitted formatting: [b] a [/b] - bolt text [i] a [/i] - italics [u] a [/u] - underline

Marked data in bolt are mandatory

Back to summary of Topics

Up